Traditional holiday gifts like house slippers, ties and robes don’t hold a candle to the unique gift of a new smile with dental veneers! The detail and care shown by your dentist in the process, and the final, pearly whites that result make this idea a truly one-of-a-kind present.
Have you been searching for unique gift ideas this holiday season that are sure to please your loved one? Why not consider giving the gift of a new smile through the purchase of dental veneers? Dental veneers are a custom-made, unique application that can be created for all types of teeth, making them a gift that many would appreciate.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are shells that are custom-made to bond onto the patient’s teeth to give them the appearance of a perfect smile. The veneers are made from a very thin, tooth-colored material that is unrecognizable to others as not being real teeth. The veneer material can either be made from resin composite materials, or from porcelain.
What is the difference between resin and porcelain dental veneers?
Veneers made from resin composite materials are thinner than the alternative and require less removal of the surface of the tooth during the application process. Porcelain veneers, on the other hand, are more stain-resistant than those made of resin materials and are more effective at reflecting light like natural teeth.
A consultation with your dentist will determine which option is best for the patient.
What are some reasons that people choose to use dental veneers?
- To correct discoloration. Tooth discoloration can occur due to a variety of reasons such as excessive fluoride use, root canals, and resin fillings.
- To hide the look of broken, worn, or chipped teeth.
- To fill gaps between teeth.
- To cover misalignment and unevenly shaped teeth.
How are the veneers applied?
The process for veneer application is achieved in three simple steps:
- Diagnosis and planning: This initial step requires having a conversation with the dentist about the look that the individual is hoping to have by the end of the process. X-rays will be taken of the teeth at this point and a consensus will be reached confirming if the teeth are suitable for veneers and if so, what kind of veneers will be selected.
- Preparation: The dentist will then remove part of the enamel from the front of the teeth receiving veneers. About a half millimeter of enamel is taken off, which is about the width of a veneer. An impression is then made of the enamel and sent to a laboratory where the custom veneer is made. The veneers will arrive to the dentist’s office in one to two weeks.
- Bonding: Finally, the dentist applies the veneers permanently to the teeth. The veneer will be trimmed to fit precisely on the tooth and then the tooth will be cleaned and polished. A light beam will then shine on the veneer, which will activate the chemical inside that will bond the veneer in place. After applying each veneer, the dentist will make any necessary final adjustments.
This unique gift idea will last between five and ten years, and your loved one can take care of their teeth as usual without need for special care routines.
By giving someone you love the gift of dental veneers, you’re giving them the gift of a shamelessly beautiful smile that they’ll be able to enjoy and share for years to come. Later, check out Part Two of our unique gift idea series and contact Arkansas Family Dental with your questions or to purchase a gift certificate for veneers today.